Had a chat with my bro in UK (from US, where I currently live) for 45 minutes for free (yeah u heard it right, it is free atleast for the time being) Praise the technology. Pretty good quality and hassle free set up.
Jajah is really not just one another VoIP service. Some of the advantage that I noticed were
- Initiates a call between traditional phones
- No special hardware required (headsets / microphone)
- Does not require any s/w download
- Quality of call is independent of the user’s bandwidth.
- Very Competitive pricing
What It takes to use Jajah
- Register @ Jajah website using ur phone number
- Enter the family / friends number u want to call
- Click Call
- UR Phone rings, pick up the phone
- UR friends phone rings, (s)he picks up
- Talk and keep talking :) (of course keep in mind the fair use policy)
Do I need a PC
Not really. If u have a mobile (Symbian or Java enabled) then you could initiate the call from ur mobile phone. Yeah International calls @ low rates from ur mobile, and it works ! To check if ur mobile is supported click here.
Even otherwise u could still use it by initiating the call using a PC and go from there. The PC is not required once the call is established.
So how much does it Cost
It depends on which Zone u and ur friends are in ! Detailed tariff is listed here. In short Jajah currently offers free calls between
- Land line and mobile calls to and within the US, Canada, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan (Zone 1)
- Land line, but not mobile calls, to and within Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea South, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, Venezuela (Zone 2)
- Land line / Mobile from Zone 1 to Mobile in Zone 2
Note : This is not some sort of a comparative review. This above is based on my first experience with Jajah usage. There are a couple of VoIP alternatives that I would give a try, some day like Rebtel, Skype & Hullo